Based on the findings of a self-assessment, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TSMC) states the following
with regard to its internal control system during the year 2014:
- TSMC’s Board of Directors and Management are responsible for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an adequate
internal control system. Our internal control is a process designed to provide reasonable assurance over the effectiveness and
efficiency of our operations (including profitability, performance, and safeguarding of assets), reliability of our financial reporting,
and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- An internal control system has inherent limitations. No matter how perfectly designed, an effective internal control system can
provide only reasonable assurance of accomplishing its stated objectives. Moreover, the effectiveness of an internal control system
may be subject to changes due to extenuating circumstances beyond our control. Nevertheless, our internal control system
contains self-monitoring mechanisms, and TSMC takes immediate remedial actions in response to any identified deficiencies.
- TSMC evaluates the design and operating effectiveness of its internal control system based on the criteria provided in the
Regulations Governing the Establishment of Internal Control Systems by Public Companies (herein below, the “Regulations”). The
criteria adopted by the Regulations identify five key components of managerial internal control: (1) control environment, (2) risk
assessment, (3) control activities, (4) information and communication, and (5) monitoring.
- TSMC has evaluated the design and operating effectiveness of its internal control system according to the aforesaid Regulations.
- Based on the findings of such evaluation, TSMC believes that on December 31, 2014, it has maintained, in all material respects
an effective internal control system (that includes the supervision and management of our subsidiaries) to provide reasonable
assurance over our operational effectiveness and efficiency, reliability of financial reporting, and compliance with applicable laws
- This Statement will be an integral part of TSMC’s Annual Report for the year 2014 and Prospectus, and will be made public. Any
falsehood, concealment, or other illegality in the content made public will entail legal liability under Articles 20, 32, 171, and 174
of the Securities and Exchange Law.
- This Statement has been passed by the Board of Directors in their meeting held on February 10, 2015, with none of the eight
attending directors expressing dissenting opinions, and the remainder all affirming the content of this Statement.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited