Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., April 14, 2016 - TSMC today announced consolidated revenue of NT$203.50 billion, net income of NT$64.78 billion, and diluted earnings per share of NT$2.50 (US$0.38 per ADR unit) for the first quarter ended March 31, 2016.
Year-over-year, first quarter revenue decreased 8.3% while net income and diluted EPS both decreased 18.0%. Compared to fourth quarter 2015, first quarter results represent essentially flat revenue, and an 11.1% decrease in net income. All figures were prepared in accordance with TIFRS on a consolidated basis.
In US dollars, first quarter revenue was $6.14 billion, which decreased 1.6% from previous quarter and decreased 12.8% year-over-year.
Gross margin for the quarter was 44.9%, operating margin was 34.6%, and net profit margin was 31.8%. The February 6, 2016 earthquake negatively impacted TSMC’s gross margin by 2.2 percentage points and operating margin by 2.4 percentage points.
Shipments of 16/20-nanometer accounted for 23% of wafer revenues, and 28-nanometer process technology accounted for 30% of total wafer revenues. Advanced technologies, defined as 28-nanometer and more advanced technologies, accounted for 53% of total wafer revenues.
“Although the February 6 earthquake caused some delay in wafer shipments in the first quarter, we saw business upside resulting from demand increases in mid- and low-end smartphone segments and customer inventory restocking,” said Lora Ho, SVP and Chief Financial Officer of TSMC. “We expect our business in the second quarter will benefit from continued inventory restocking and recovery of the delayed shipments from the earthquake. Based on our current business outlook and exchange rate assumption of 1 US dollar to 32.3 NT dollars, management expects overall performance for second quarter 2016 to be as follows”:
●Revenue is expected to be between NT$215 billion and NT$218 billion;
●Gross profit margin is expected to be between 49% and 51%;
●Operating profit margin is expected to be between 38.5% and 40.5%.
TSMC is the world’s largest dedicated semiconductor foundry, providing the industry’s leading process technology and the foundry’s largest portfolio of process-proven libraries, IPs, design tools and reference flows. The Company’s owned capacity in 2016 is expected to reach about 10 million (12-inch equivalent) wafers, including capacity from three advanced 12-inch GIGAFAB™ facilities, four eight-inch fabs, one six-inch fab, as well as TSMC’s wholly owned subsidiaries, WaferTech and TSMC China. TSMC is the first foundry to provide both 20nm and 16nm production capabilities. Its corporate headquarters are in Hsinchu, Taiwan.