TSMC Reports First Quarter EPS of NT$3.05

Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., April 16, 2015 --TSMC today announced consolidated revenue of NT$222.03 billion, net income of NT$78.99 billion, and diluted earnings per share of NT$3.05 (US$0.48 per ADR unit) for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015.

Year-over-year, first quarter revenue increased 49.8% while net income and diluted EPS both increased 65.0%. Compared to fourth quarter 2014, first quarter results represent a 0.2% decrease in revenue, a 1.2% decrease in net income and a 1.3% decline in EPS. All figures were prepared in accordance with TIFRS on a consolidated basis.

In US dollars, first quarter revenue decreased 2.6% from the previous quarter and increased 43.7% year-over-year.

Gross margin for the quarter was 49.3%, operating margin was 39.0%, and net profit margin was 35.6%.

Shipments of 20-nanometer process technology accounted for 16% of total wafer revenues. 28-nanometer accounted for 30% of total wafer revenues. Advanced technologies, defined as 28-nanometer and 20-nanometer technologies, accounted for 46% of total wafer revenues.

"The demand for TSMC's wafers remained strong in the first quarter but NT dollar was stronger than the assumption in our first quarter guidance by about 1 percent, which reduced our revenue by NT$1.9 billion," said Lora Ho, SVP and Chief Financial Officer of TSMC. "In the second quarter, a combination of customers' business loss, inventory adjustment, and a less favorable exchange rate will negatively impact our second quarter business. Based on our current business outlook and exchange rate assumption of 1 US dollar to 31.03 NT dollars, management expects overall performance for second quarter 2015 to be as follows":

•Revenue is expected to be between NT$204 billion and NT$207 billion;

•Gross profit margin is expected to be between 47.5% and 49.5%;

•Operating profit margin is expected to be between 36.5% and 38.5%.

The management further expects revenue from second half of the year will recover and the full year will be double-digit growth over 2014. The management also states 2015 capital budget to be between US$10.5 billion and US$11.0 billion.

About TSMC
TSMC is the world’s largest dedicated semiconductor foundry, providing the industry’s leading process technology and the foundry’s largest portfolio of process-proven libraries, IPs, design tools and reference flows. The Company’s owned capacity in 2015 is expected to be above 9 million (12-inch equivalent) wafers, including capacity from three advanced 12-inch GIGAFAB™ facilities, four eight-inch fabs, one six-inch fab, as well as TSMC’s wholly owned subsidiaries, WaferTech and TSMC China. TSMC is the first foundry to provide both 20nm and 16nm production capabilities. Its corporate headquarters are in Hsinchu, Taiwan. For more information about TSMC please visit http://www.tsmc.com.